KRS 65 is a medium viscosity, cationic rapid-set bitumen emulsion.
KRS 65 is used mainly as a tack coat or penetration spray in the construction of single, double or Cape seals. It is favoured over hot binders when resealing roads in cold/wet climates or in new construction were traffic accommodation is not a problem.
The low viscosity of KRS 65 allows the binder to readily wet aggregates. The positive electrical charges of the emulsifier on the bitumen droplets are attracted to the free negative ions of the aggregates, resulting in a chemical break thus improving the binder adhesion to the stone.
KRS 65 can also be diluted with water and applied as a cover spray on a newly constructed seal.
KRS 65 conforms to SANS 4001-BT4 specification for cationic bitumen road emulsions.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
1. No precoating of stone necessary. Can be used with slightly damp/dusty stone.
2. Apply with a conventional distributor at a binder spray temperature of 65°C. The minimum road surface temperature should be 10°C and rising.
3. No heating of the product during storage; only prior to application. Product should be circulated and agitated from time to time for short periods only. Can be stored for long periods at ambient temperature without risk of settlement.
4. Open to traffic once sufficient cohesion development has occurred between binder and stone.
5. If diluting with water, check the compatibility of the water with the emulsion.